Sunday, August 20, 2006

Trust Your Gut? Don't.


Finely honed instincts are the mark of the expert -- and the enemy of innovation.

I’ve just completed grading exams, and my students are moving on to receive their diplomas. Happily, over the years, I’ve seen student performance on my exams improve. Part of the explanation may be that I am getting better at teaching. I’ve accumulated experience. But to be honest, I have a very hard time articulating what it is that I do differently in the classroom today compared to when I taught for the first time. Teaching has just become instinctive.

Are my instincts my friend? Up to a point. Although change can be energizing, I’m not sure I’d find it easy to teach a different course, or teach in a different degree program. I’m not sure what I would need to change. There would be a period of trial and error. I would have to carefully examine the assumptions underlying my approach to teaching, and test how well they apply in the new context.

See full Article.