Monday, September 08, 2014

Boards of Directors, Corporate Governance and Cyber-Risks: Sharpening the Focus


Commissioner Luis A. Aguilar
"Cyber Risks and the Boardroom" Conference
New York Stock Exchange
New York, NY


June 10, 2014

Good afternoon. Thank you for that kind introduction. I am glad to be back at the New York Stock Exchange. In anticipating today’s conference, I thought back to an earlier trip to the NYSE where in April 2009, I had the opportunity to ring the closing bell. Before I begin my remarks, let me issue the standard disclaimer that the views I express today are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC” or “Commission”), my fellow Commissioners, or members of the staff.

I am pleased to be here and to have the opportunity to speak about cyber-risks and the boardroom, a topic that is both timely and extremely important. Over just a relatively short period of time, cybersecurity has become a top concern of American companies, financial institutions, law enforcement, and many regulators.[1] I suspect that not too long ago, we would have been hard-pressed to find many individuals who had even heard of cybersecurity, let alone known what it meant. Yet, in the past few years, there can be no doubt that the focus on this issue has dramatically increased.[2]

See full Press Release: http://www.sec.gov/News/Speech/Detail/Speech/1370542057946#.VAmnBPmSx8E